Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Baker

With my little "bun in the oven" I haven't had much time or energy to bake, which is probably one of my favorite things to do.  This weekend, I needed to make a few different things so I opted for a "safe" recipe as I like to call them, meaning one that I had previously tested.  It was great because I was able to make two pies for two different events.

Here's me in action at 31 weeks!  The apron is covering my big belly, which by they way, is becoming quite a hindrance in getting close to the kitchen counter.  So I'll post some better pictures later.



And here's the yummy recipe that I tried.  Of course it's a Paula Deen recipe.  That southern lady knows how to make some dessert.



Shaver's Chocolate Pecan Pie
Serves 6-8

1/2 c butter 1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 squares (2 oz) semisweet chocolate 1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, well beaten 1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c sugar 3/4 c chopped or whole pecans
1/2 c light corn syrup* One 9-inch unbaked pie crust

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler over hot water.  Pout this into a bowl and add the beaten eggs, then stir in the sugar, corn syrup, flour, vanilla, and salt.  Fold in the pecans.  Pour the filling into the crust and bake for about 30 minutes.  Watch carefully and do not take the pie out of the oven until the top looks dry.  You can make up to 4 pies at one time.  They freeze beautifully.  Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top, if you like.

*The first time I made this, I wasn't able to find light corn syrup in my grocery store (weird, I know).  Another cookbook said that I could substitute 1/2 c sugar and 1/8 c water and it seemed to work fine.

No comments: